Thursday 19 June 2014

A Diary the Size of my Little Finger

While Vol. 1 of Edward's Diary is available as a free Google ebook, Vol. 2 is not. I've got facsimile copies of both volumes but I don't want to have to cart them around when I start travelling in Edward's footsteps so I needed to get Vol. 2 in digital form. Not having a scanner I initially contemplated manually typing it into my computer. That seemed like a pretty major task but I figured that Edward would have written it all long hand himself and then his printer would have had a probably more time consuming task of typesetting it all word by word, so I didn't want to seem like a modern day sissy.

Fortunately, however, I was able to get access to a scanner through the Albany Historical Society (thanks guys) so now I am sitting in an office in Albany's Old Convict Gaol, scanning Vol. 2 onto a thumb drive. What would Edward have made of such a marvelous little device that could hold his entire diary, and much much more, in something about the size of his little finger.

Yesterday too, I was at the printers, arranging the typesetting of cafe newsletter that I have a hand in. I was marveling at the way in which the printer was whizzing around his keyboard, achieving in seconds what typesetters would have needed hours for just a couple of decades ago.

So in word processing, information retrieval and printing we've come a long way but not necessarily so with everything. As I mentioned, I'm in the Old Gaol. The initial part of this building was the original convict depot, constructed in 1852 so it would have been here when Edward visited in 1854. He doesn't mention it but it would likely have been visible as he made his way up from the jetty and he does mention the convicts.

While modern buildings have some improved materials and techniques, they built places to last in 1854. Its been renovated in recent times but some of the brickwork in this place looks like it went up yesterday and they really had the right idea about climate control. With thick walls, high ceilings and steep roofs, unless there is a run of exceptionally hot or cold days, this place remains a constant and reasonable temperature.

                                                       Albany's Old Convict Gaol

3 comments:

  1. Crispin, when I read up on Edward Ogilvie I saw he lived around the Hunter Valley in NSW. That was a long time ago, but by what route did you find yourself in Albany?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A circuitous one. Edward migrated to NSW as a 10yo in 1824 & it was his father William who took up land in the Hunter Valley. Edward as an adult estd his own place at Yulgilbar on the Clarence.
      My paternal grandmother was the daughter of Edward's eldest daughter and while she was born in NSW she went back to live in England as a child. In 19th C Australia it wasn't uncommon for people having made their fortune here, to return to England to enjoy the benefits of that money.
      My father's father was also Australian born but he returned to England as a young man because he wanted to be a military engineer and at that stage Australia had no Engineers Corp. So he met my Gran in England and my father was born there (not only both his parents were Australian born, but so were all 4 of his grandparents).
      He grew up with tales of Oz as a land of opportunity and equality (he talks of his father as a military officer being on first name terms with his men which was something remarkable in the English military) so I think always had a hankering to return here which he did when I was 6. Our family came to Perth, despite having no connection with WA. (Dad's maternal family originally settling in NSW & his paternal family in Victoria & Tasmania.)
      I grew up in Perth & as an adult came to Albany for work and once here, it's the kind of place you want to stay.
      I think our family has a peripatetic gene because it seems that each generation moves somewhere different from where they grew up. My children are now in Perth & Melbourne.

      Delete
  2. Golly, yes, circuitous. I'm along the same lines, sort of. My parents emigrated from Dublin to Dalwalinu (W.A.) in 1963, then in 1967 to Albany where I lived until 1977 before going to a boarding school in Perth. I returned to Albany many times of course, my folks stayed living there for 40 years before retiring to Dunsborough to be near my sister. I was in Perth till the mid 80's then went travelling and never really returned. I married my Irish girlfriend and went to the UK. We're now back in Dublin but like you my kids are eyeing up a life somewhere entirely different.

    ReplyDelete